Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Boxing


Last night was boxing. It was a good workout. Lots of met-con work. The format of our workouts are pretty simple. Our warm-up consists of stretching out legs arms shoulders legs and trunk. Then there are 5 different stations we do for 3 min. rounds x3. There is a minute rest in between rounds. Included are shadow box,skipping, heavy bag work, speed bag work and med. ball drills. Sometimes we are called out to the ring for individual work like focus pads ( wail on the mitts held by a coach), sometimes it's to learn new punches or combos. I am not at the stage where I spar yet but that requires a medical (which isn't cheap) so I won't be getting that in the near future anyway. Training lasts about an hour and fifteen minutes where we do speed drills which is a combination of things. Most often it is fast rabbit punches or hard head/body shots on the heavybag for quick intervals. When it's not our turn on the heavy bag we a re doing squats/pushups/crunches/lunges/ jumping jacks or running on the spot. After this I am normally spent but we aren't done. Next is abs. We take turns running abs drill. Most people do legs raises/planks/knees to elbows/flutter kicks and rows are the ones I remember. All in all it is a great metabolic workout but I find doing this 3x per week my strength has gone down quiet a bit. I am working on incerasing my endurance and ability to recover so I can work out heavier during the week. I'll keep you posted w/ results.
Flickr credit: soulshiftr

2 comments:

aka suska said...

I am surprised to hear that a physical is expensive. I thought OHIP would cover most of the cost.

Regardless of the sparring, it sure sounds like quite a workout.

I think you would be great at boxing though because you are smart and almost fearless. Your strategic skills are awesome.

Coach Keese said...

Unfortunately no. If you schedule a doctors appointment for a physical with the reason to do a physical activity it is a little different that a regular physical. How I am not sure because I don't have a doctor, and I have never had a physical. They charge you about $150 for this (crazy I know)and as far as I am told, not covered by OHIP.