Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Front Squat

Today I had a question from a client about the front squat. The front squat is a fantastic exercise that really is a transition to the clean. Which is where I take all my clients. I will speak about the clean in more detail later but back to the front squat. It is essential when learning the front squat to also practice the rack position, which for some, is next to impossible due to inflexible wrists. The wrists are key Roger, we will be practicing wrist flexibility soon enough! One way is handstands.... but that is another story.

Things to do for a perfect front squat

1. weight is solid on the heels
2. bar will rest on shoulders, not in the hands
3. good lumbar curve
4. chin and neck are neutral although a slight tilt up is ok
5. elbows are pointing up where the humerous is parallel to the ground if possible
6. knees track over the feet
7. hips drop below the patella
It's all outlined in this video but I have written it out here for you as well

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Toner, went through your blogs, you got some great stuff here bro! I'm looking forward to the workout on tuesday!

Coach Keese said...

haha! You found it huh? I just wish I had some goofy pics for you! Thanks for stopping by!