Monday, June 2, 2008

Nutrition Part 2

I am being asked with more and more frequency about nutrition, about what I do, what I recommend, and how can someone get started. I always answer with my canned response in the gym (well you know _______, I am not a licensed dietician so I can't really suggest anything but I can tell you what I do, but can't give any specific advice for liability reasons) This response is not the one I like and I can tell the people that asked the question don't like it much either. What I can do and often do is tell people about the nutrition books I am/have reading/read and this is usually sufficient to get people going. I don't have to be as diplomatic on my blog because it's MY blog. I still won't tell people what to eat, but I will tell them what to look for in nutrition. Jack Lalane use to say if man made it, don't eat it. That was back in the 40's I believe and things have come full circle. Take for instance the zone diet. Awesome food plan by the way. Anyway, I linked to the main site last post but I want to link another section of that site I found to be a little burried. This LINK will help you get started in the zone, it has a sample day, ideas for snacks, groceries to get and my favourite, a description of blocks of food. (I always fumble my description to people because it is hard for someone to think of food in oz. and blocks) Enjoy the link and happy shopping!

7 comments:

J. said...

Great blog. If I have a question, what is your email address? I don't see it here on the site.

Thanks!

Coach Keese said...

I prefer an open forum so we can all be a part of your fitness journey. My blog has also been targeted by spammers (putting unwanted ads in my comment section), so I will be changing how comments are left. They will go through an approval process before posted. I just have to figure out how to do it. That is the main reason I am not giving out my email at the moment. Sorry, I hope you understand. What is your question?

aka suska said...

Tony, your blog just gets better and better. Strong information on nutrition (though we all know you are NOT a dietitian). Still your mother brought you up right. But one of her "rules" which might carry people a long way has been forgotten or omitted by you. That is "make sure your plate is colourful" that way you'll be likelier to get a balanced meal. For instance, potatoes are white (sort of), so add lots of colourful veggies, dark green, lighter green, orange, red, maroon (beets), yellow - corn (not corn AND potatoes together)or butter beans, and so on. Then you can add the kind of protein that you prefer. I like chicken -- any way you cook it. But a steak once a summer on the barby might not hurt. At least, if you get some vigorous exercise before and after (not right after) you eat it. I say steak in the summer because most of us are far more active in the summer. But this winter I plan to get out and about a whole lot more. Ciao!

aka suska said...

oops... I meant potatoes, rice, and some other grains are pale yellow to white...

aka suska said...

did you ever notice how many carbs are pale and bland in color?
Okay now I'll shut up.

Coach Keese said...

Thanks for stopping by! Yes carbs are pale in colour. I tend not to eat carbs at all. I'll have the odd potato wedge here and there and maybe a plate of spaghetti once per month or some pizza but I rarely eat them. Try supplementing the carbs you would eat from regular sources with veggies and fruit and your body will thank you!

Coach Keese said...

Nothing wrong with red meat either. I know some people would disagree but I have red meat once a week roughly. Our ancestors ate it in moderation and so will I.