Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Strong Mind Sharp Mind


I realized early on in life that there was a fundamental element within yourself you must take control of for better performance in any human endeavour. Unfortunately, I had forgotten the lesson. What am I talking about? What could bring greater performance in any area of your life by simply applying it?

THE MIND

If you are anything like me, you have given up on a lift. Told yourself ‘no’ after an attempted last squat. How many times have you ditched weight? How many times does the voice inside of your head sabotage action before you even take it? How many reps have you given up on because the jerk in your head screams NO MORE! STOP IT YOU EVIL ASS! My answer was ‘a lot’!

Generally speaking, my mind is out of shape. Thoughts interspersed between positive and negative. How many thoughts do you have going on in your head at once? How unfocussed are they? When I am working out at the gym, the only thing going through my head SHOULD BE my next rep, and HOW I am going to make it to the end of the workout. We’ve all done it. That little cheerleader inside of us. ‘Come on dude! 2 more come on! COME ON! Keep going! You own this man! Despite all the cheering, all the encouragement… BAM! You start talking trash to yourself. ‘Dude you are weak, stop! STOP! You might puke! Catch your breath!’ Then it all spirals down from there. It’s called trash talk for a reason.

The goal is for a sharp mind. In and out of the gym. The biggest thing I personally have to remember is – I am not my thoughts! So how do we solve this? First you must become aware of it, when you are aware of your compulsive and primarily negative junk in your head you are no longer identified with it. I used to be deeply into the self help genre and I have picked up quite a bit that can help. Here’s what to do…

MIND WOD

This is a very simply drill that’s as old as life itself. Get a book to write in and a pen to write with. For a week, simply record all the thoughts you have. Do not analyse them, just write. Don’t debate, don’t stare at the page and start justifying. Just write your thoughts down. Simply record all the thoughts or thought patterns you have, pay special attention to the element of any thought pattern you get lost within.

After about a week, you will be amazed at the massive amount of crap you carry around. On a daily basis the utter crap and useless thoughts you have will floor you! Most of which will be negative and what is wrong with the world.

This exercise was a great eye opener. Until you actually keep track of your thoughts, you have no clue what kind of crap that goes on in your head. When I did this I realized quickly that I didn’t need to be carrying that baggage anymore and quickly ran to my paper shredder! I was so enthusiastic, I actually jammed it! It was very symbolic.

I plan on doing this drill again very soon. Maybe next month. Quiet the mind. There is only do! No try. 3-2-1 Go.

No comments: