Monday, February 25, 2008

Pop VS. Alcohol


Sugarholics. Jack was way ahead of his time folks. Is what he said back in the 70's still prevalent today? You decide.

Sugar is now the highest source of calories in the U.S. I shouldn't say now, it has been like that since 2005. What 'food' has one of the highest concentration of sugar you ask? Why soda pop. As a matter of fact pop has around the equivalent of 10 teaspoons per 12 oz. can. This study says around 13 teaspoons. Obviously not good. Would anyone in their right mind sit down to eat 10-13 teaspoons of sugar twice a day? I hope not! Are we getting a clear picture of the hazards of pop? Someone saying that drinking a couple of sodas per day is okay, doesn't have all or even some of the facts. The thing that makes pop 'bad' for us is the high concentration of corn syrup.

Alcohol on the other hand, doesn't use corn syrup, what sugar it does have, it has less than pop, and goes through a natural firmentation process (at least it used to be natural). I know, not very scientific, but it's all I got. It is also known to reduce risks of dietary diseases.

Bottom line about health and nutrition is there is right way and a wrong way to go about it. The only thing you can do is aim to do the right thing more often than the wrong thing. This process is long and difficult but necessary. This is how I quit smoking a pack of smokes a day. It is how I quit drinking pop (limited to movie night, which is maybe 2 times a month) It is also how I am still eliminating fast food from my vocabulary. I started at once a week and am now down to once per month, soon to be once per 6 weeks (yes I actually track it on a calendar) It works for me.

Photo Credit: Flickr firenzesca






2 comments: