Monday, May 26, 2008

WHY ARE YOU SO INSANE ABOUT CROSSFIT?

I get asked this quite a bit. Why do you like CrossFit so much? Why do you push yourself so hard? A fellow trainer made a comment tonight and said 'Man you are pretty intense' I looked at him and said 'yup' like there was no other way to be when it comes to fitness. I understand that what I do will unfortunately be rejected by some and I also understand that my opinion may not be accepted but I try here to shed light on the burning question everyone wants to ask me when I am at the gym...

Why Do you workout like that?

Who really relies on the results of their fitness to preserve their lives? Military Personnel, Law Enforcement Officers and Fire Fighters.

What is being adopted throughout the Canadian Military, Special Forces communities (most notably The US Navy SEALS ), Secret Service, US Marshals, FBI, ATF and many other people who rely on fitness to preserve their lives? CrossFit. When it comes to an endeavor where being weak costs you your life, they do CrossFit.

Most of us do not require that level of fitness in our daily lives. So why train this hard? If you look at a continuum when on one side is residing in a nursing home and the other end the decathlete (Or similar well rounded capable individual), ask this simple question: Which place do I want to be in?

Time, aging, and lifestyle conspire to put us in long term care homes and alike. The harder we pull toward the elite fitness side of the continuum, the further away we are from the nursing home. If teaching a 57 year old woman to dead lift 200 plus pounds seems extreme, think of the grandmother who can’t pick up her 20 lb grandson. Which place do you want to be in?

Very few of us will get to the level of being on the main CrossFit website for some outstanding physical feat. However, we can ALL work diligently to give our best effort in order to accomplish the maximum results our age and ability allow us to achieve.

All the training I do is influenced largely by CrossFit principles. Whether it is Sport Conditioning, Personal Training, or Group Training, much of what I do is based on functional exercises (life activities, sport, survival), executed at high intensity that is varied to the point of near randomness.

Why? My goal is to create people who are capable in ALL aspects of fitness.

When the Navy SEAL Teams and Special Forces adopt Swiss balls as a major tool to keep them alive when it counts, I will use them. Until that time, we (myself and clients) will do CrossFit.

– Adapted from the writings of Doug Chapman


If it is good enough for these people, then it is good enough for me. Besides if I am going to spend time doing something, I want to make sure I am getting the most bang for my time. It's like Dad's everywhere around the world. If you are going to do something, you may as well do it to the best of your ability, otherwise why are you doing it?

No comments: